Saturday, February 28, 2009

And the Oscar goes to....

Although I am the math teacher of record for the 65 kids that rotate through my classroom daily, I do have an instructional block with my homeroom that is geared toward writing and mechanics. Today they were supposed to write a compare/contrast essay about two of their favorite movies. As I was explaining the assignment to them, I was trying to think back to my times as a 4th grader. What would I have written about? I probably would have picked Star Wars as one of my movies. At my time in 4th grade, Star Wars would have already been out for 2 or 3 years. However, I went through this period of infatuation with Star Wars from the first day I saw it, to umm…. Actually, I’m still kind of obsessed with the whole thing today. For the second movie, I probably would’ve picked Close Encounters of the Third Kind or maybe Jaws. As far as movies go, they are all pretty timeless. They had quite a bit of critical acclaim attached to them, as well.

So what would my students pick as their favorite movies? I have to say that I was very disappointed. A compare and contrast paper on The Dark Knight and Iron Man is not a bad idea to start off with. Unfortunately, it was the best that anyone had to offer. The movies got progressively worse from there. Try Friday the 13th vs. Jeepers Creepers or Michael Myers vs. Freddy Krueger.

Good Lord.

These are 9 and 10-year-olds I’m talking about (and, err… um a couple of 11-year-olds as well). What’s going on at home, I ask? Not only are these movies with little or no artistic merit (apologies to horror movie buffs), but they are movies for adults. My students are watching movies with deranged, psychopathic murderers as the main characters, and these movies are apparently making quite an impact on my students. What would happen if kids were allowed to vote on the Oscars? Or, better yet, what would happen if my students were allowed to vote on the Oscars? That suggestion alone is a horror movie in the making.

What about Wall-E? What about Bolt? Night at the Museum? Marley and Me? These movies are a little more age-appropriate, but not a single one was mentioned. And I’m sure there are a lot more out there that are age-appropriate that I just can’t think of right now. I assure you, none of those were mentioned either.

So where does all this lead us?

Lung cancer.

2 comments:

Mister Teacher said...

Comparing the Dark Knight and Iron Man would be a GREAT paper! But I could have told you they'd all be talking about Freddy and Jason. One kid once told me all about what he had seen in Don't Be a Menace While Drinking Your Juice in South Whatever. . .He didn't know the whole title.

Farnnay said...

A lot of the times kids say these kinds of things are their favorite movies/music/singer etc and have NO idea what its about and only say it because they're friends and/or classmates are saying it. i never ever watched freddy kueger or any of those scary movies as a kid, but i always said i did.

kids will be kids.
and movies like night at the museum, bolt, wall-e are for "babies" according to them.
p.s. i found ur blog via mister teacher. and i really like both :D