Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Assembly Line Education

Ugh…Assembly-line education. I can’t stand it. It’s like the scene from "I Love Lucy" in which the chocolates are moving too fast on the conveyer belt for her and Ethel to wrap. I have a "middle-school" rotation in 4th grade. I have 5 classes and they rotate in and out every 60 minutes. My district is really on the "Principles of Learning" bandwagon (which I have no qualms about). However, the whole "Principles of Learning" philosophy is about educating at a more rigorous level, a more deeper level. How can I get deep in 60 minutes? Truthfully, its not even 60 minutes. These are 9 and 10-year-olds we’re talking about here. We have other issues from bathrooms to fevers to she won’t be my friend to he’s making fun of me to pencil sharpening. Heck, sometimes it takes a kid an eon to take out a sheet of paper and put their name on it! The issues are endless.

It has been suggested to me that the Science teacher could take 15 minutes out of her 1 hour science time to allow students to do "practice" work over stuff that I taught. However, I don’t really see a very good cost/benefit result here. Science instruction will suffer and I really won’t be able to effectively monitor and address misconceptions with immediate feedback. It would have to wait a day. Truth be told, there just isn’t enough time in the day. With every subject now facing the prospect of state testing, nothing can really be shortchanged. The problem is, that everything is shortchanged as a result.

A 2-teacher split is much better than a 5-teacher split. A 2-teacher split also gives rookies the opportunity to team-up and learn from a veteran. What if I decide to change schools next year? I take my 12 years experience and wisdom with me. I taught a state-tested subject my 2nd year as a teacher. I worked very closely with the "other" math teacher on my grade level. I learned a lot. It sped up the learning curve. I wouldn’t mind having the opportunity to "groom" a newbie. I’ve done it before.

When I used to teach 2 subjects (Math and Science), I had a 2 1/2-hour block and I always had the flexibility to spend more time on one subject if students were facing difficulties. Of course, the other subject would suffer. There were times when I would take away from Science time, because Math is a state tested subject at my grade level. Unfortunately, science is state tested at the next grade up. I want to prepare my students for that as well, but math scores are what ultimately ride on my shoulders. I enjoy teaching science as well. However, I would not enjoy teaching it if I was faced with 45 minute class time (because in 4th grade, that translates to about 30 minutes after all the B.S. mentioned above).

But…I don’t run things. I don’t rock the boat. I just do what I’m told to do. If someone asks my opinion, I’ll give it to them, but nobody ever asks. Such is the frustrating life of a teacher.

Next thing you know, they’ll want to start basing my salary on how well I cram stuff into 9 and 10-year-old heads in 60 minutes. Oh, wait… they’re already on that, aren’t they? I guess the truth will finally come out: I suck at teaching! Don’t send your kids to Mr. Ed. U. Cater! He sucks! Oh, wait… He’s the only freakin’ math teacher.

Anyway, that’s all I got. Just a little rant for cyberspace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should totally rock the boat. If more people rocked the boat, things would change. (For the better) Just think about history.