Thursday, April 26, 2007

Roll Over Beethoven

The music teacher assigned my students to do some research on various composers the other day. I'm not sure how much of a project this actually was because I really haven't heard anything about it since Tuesday. But, what I heard Tuesday would definitely make any connoisseur of fine music cringe, and would surely make poor Ludwig turn over in his grave.

When I picked them up from their music class this Tuesday, they were in a rather cheery, singy (is that a word?), and jovial kind of mood. Some of the girls were singing a melody to some tune they had heard in their class that day. This is unusual because, sorry to say, most kids don't really like music class. I'm not sure if it's because they are embarrassed to sing...which I can understand, since I have a terrible voice. Or if they just think the overall concept is lame. I mean, why sing when you can crap? Did I say crap? I meant RAP.

Well anyway, the girls were singing and one of my boys, Dr. J. (the one from my 4/16 blog, "Apology Accepted") made an interesting comment. He said the song they were singing sounded like it was something by Beth Hoven.

I asked, "Beth who?"

He replied, "Hoven."

I once again asked for clarification, because I really wasn't comprehending what he was saying, "Who?"

His quizzical look (mentioned in my 4/16 blog) returned. His reply, with a little trepidation and a slight stutter (he was trying to get it right) was "Hu..hu..hoven."

Then, it finally hit me. Beethoven. Of course! I said, "Oh!!! You mean Beethoven?"

He replied, "Uh, yeah. Beethoven."

It was slightly funny, but slightly sad. He thought Beethoven was a girl named Beth! Maybe it was the wig. I mean, I knew who Beethoven was when I was in 4th grade (maybe even 1st grade). And this poor little guy, had no idea. Maybe its because I took piano lessons. I wonder if my peers knew who he was back then. Boy, maybe they didn't and I was just a nerd. Oh well.

No comments: