Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Summer, Happy Professional Development!

I attended my first summer professional development session yesterday, and once again, I was less than impressed. What is it with this district? I hate being negative, so... let me first focus on the positive.

The actual session and presenter were actually quite exceptional (which is saying a lot). Our district has a new math textbook for next year, so the presenter was from the publishing company. He did a great job explaining the ins and outs of the new curriculum, and he did it such a professional manner. Kudos to that guy. He is a trooper.

I say that because he, along with the rest of his audience, had to endure excessive discomfort due to "climate-control" issues. I don't know what it is with this district and its inability to get air conditioners to actually condition the air. I've had this problem in my own school, a building less than 5 years old, as well. Its just unacceptable. At my session yesterday, I didn't actually hear the a/c turn on until around 9:30 (an hour and a half after the session began). And it never really cooled anything down. The common areas of the building were cool enough. I have no idea if the temperature problem was also going on in other rooms besides the one I was in, but I'm going to be extremely mad if I find out it was just happening in the room I was in. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that this was the case and that the idea to change rooms never occurred to anyone in charge.

I have another session at a different campus later this week. It promises to be excruciatingly boring. Here's to hoping that, at least, the air conditioner will be working.

3 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Ah, me. Professional Development--I'd call it Professional Regression, 'cause that's what it is! Why must teachers spend so much time trying to justify their existences? Anywho, thanks so much for contributing to my spur-of-the-moment Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. It was such a wild success, I think I'll make it a regular item! Please drop by again soon!

Natalie Alexis said...

I work for DonorsChoose.org, an award-winning nonprofit that connects public school teachers in need of resources with donors via the internet.
At DonorsChoose.org, called the “future of philanthropy” by the New York Times, public school teachers describe needs for their classrooms and donors can search projects by area of interest and choose to fund the project(s) he/she finds compelling.

In the fall, DonorsChoose.org holds an annual “Blogger Challenge” – bloggers choose specific projects from our website and challenge their readers to make donations.

Last year we raised $420,000 for needy classrooms via 50 bloggers including Engadget, TechCrunch, Tomato Nation and Stephen Colbert.

The classroom projects run the gamut from basic needs like books to salmon hatcheries; in fact there are 725 Texas projects currently posted.

On October 1, we’ll kick off this year’s Blogger Challenge. We would be honored to add The Head of the Class to the list of participants. Your participation could help hundreds of Texas students in need.

If you are interested, I would be happy to share more details with you by email or phone. Your support would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you for your consideration,
Natalie French

Mister Teacher said...

How did I miss the fact that you posted???

Clearly Natalie French did not miss it!!