Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Frustration Factor

Here is a link to my third column for the Dallas Morning News, which appeared in December of 2010.

Michael Haring: The frustration factor Dallas-Fort Worth Local Opinion Columns News for Dallas, Texas Dallas Morning News

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 2/21/11 Here is the column in its original unedited format:

I have always had a pessimistic personality by nature. I have found that I am pleasantly surprised a lot more often if I’m pessimistic. So, as a teacher of elementary school students in DISD, I find myself having very hopeless thoughts about the future of the human race more often than I care to admit. I have worked with the “future” of mankind now for 15 years and they are suddenly starting to approach the part of my life when they start becoming my “present.”

Working with students in DISD has always felt like an uphill battle for me, like using a rock and slingshot to fight off an approaching tank. I am not just talking about academics either. I’m talking about character qualities such as love for your fellow man, respect, and citizenship as well. Please don’t get me wrong. There are many smart and intelligent DISD students with excellent character out there. But, in my pessimistic view, more days than not, the future looks bleak to me.

On my drives to work, I always find myself letting out a sigh and muttering to myself, “What am I going to do with these kids?” On my way home from work, the same thoughts penetrate my mind. It happens all of the time, whether I’m pushing a shopping cart collecting my groceries, pumping gas, or waiting in line in the drive thru window, the thought is always there with me. Even during the summertime, it can be continuous and intrusive. What am I going to do?

This year, my school was fortunate to be the recipient of many kind gestures from churches and other charities, giving back in more ways than I have ever seen as a teacher. They have provided needy students with clothing and school supplies and extra food for them to take home on weekends. They have provided a spruced up lounge for the teachers and new carpeting for the school auditorium. And, then for Christmas, one charity even adopted the school and gave wrapped Christmas gifts to the children. What a grand gesture!

It was so great to see the kids excited to receive their gifts. Unfortunately, the greatness for me, was short-lived. I soon had a sour taste in my mouth because in the midst of all the generosity, were trickles of ingratitude and ungratefulness here and there... more than I’ve seen before. Comments like “I didn’t get all of the things I asked for” just stabbed at my soul. Students who consistently make bad choices, went right back to making their bad choices. And, to top it off, a lot of the ingratitude came from some kids who have benefitted from clothing donations or extra food in the past. I sighed and thought to myself, “What am I going to do with these kids?” Sometimes, it just feels like an exercise in futility. I want to put my rock and slingshot down and surrender to the tank.

But, then I opened the card. It was a re-gifted greeting card. Underneath the standard holiday print and stock message, the signatures of the previous senders had been scratched out with pen. Instead, the signature of one of my students filled the space below (a student who has struggled with math since the day she walked in my classroom door, but a student that has continuously made progress throughout the year). There was also a personal note that anointed me, “Best math teacher ever” and notified me that I “rock.” What a grand gesture!

I realize that it is not just me. To reference a popular and current documentary film, I am not Superman. There are other teachers that have worked with her as well. Her older brother (one of my former students) has also worked with her. And I have no doubt that her parents have worked with her too. But, she was thoughtful and considerate enough to let me know that she appreciated me for what I do.

What do I do? I get up every morning at 5:45. I shower, shave, and get dressed. I think to myself, “What am I going to do with these kids?” I pick up my rock and my slingshot and I head out the door with the hopes of winning this uphill battle.

2 comments:

luckeyfrog said...

I very much enjoyed your columns.

I think some people took the bullying one the wrong way. A teacher may not have been able to fix everything, but the teacher should have done more and I'm glad that, as a teacher, you see that responsibility to do what you can. I think it's important.

I think every good teacher struggles with what to do with some students. There are always kids you worry about or can't figure out how to help, and any teacher who doesn't feel frustrated when the answer is unknown or out of control probably isn't a very good teacher.

Ed U. Cater said...

Thank you for your comments, luckeyfrog. I agree with you on your assessment of the bullying article. I actually think the title (which was not of my choosing) was a little misleading. I'm still even hesitant to call it "bullying". It was more like "friendly-teasing" that went too far. Anyway, thanks again for your comments.