Monday, January 22, 2007

5 Things About Me You May Not Know

Mister Teacher has "tagged" me and is making me tell whoever reads this 5 things they may not know about me. I think I'd rather write "I promise I will try to blog more," on the board 100 times. Anyway, here goes:



  1. One night when I was about 2 years old growing up in deep south Texas, there was a banging on the back door of the house (which happened to be in my bedroom). The banging was accompanied by a voice that was demanding to be let in the house. My parents called the police. Turned out that the person trying to get in was then-Dallas Cowboy coach Tom Landry's senile mother who was having a bad episode of dementia.

  2. In high school, I jury rigged the wipe wash hose of my 1978 Dodge Aspen to squirt a stream of water at high velocity out to the side of the car. I guess I got "Aspen" confused with "Aston Martin". I so badly wanted to be James Bond, I even considered putting lighter fluid in the resevoir instead of water (if only I could've found a way to keep a constant open flame by the spout). Anyway, I hosed down many unsuspecting targets this way. My cohorts and I became known as the "Squirt Squad" (so high school).

  3. I like to compose music in my spare time. I was originally inspired by this girl I had the hots for in high school. She had a steady boyfriend, but I didn't care. She made my heart go pitter-pat. One night, we had a secret late-night rendezvous at the local Whataburger where we just sat and talked. If I ever make a "Top Ten Best Days of My Life" list, that night will definitely make the list. Nothing romantic really ever materialized, but the music will be with me forever.

  4. I have a secret desire to write screenplays. I've never tried, but I've bought several books on techniques and style. Maybe one day, I'll do it. A fellow teacher and I got an idea for a movie while watching our kids play at recess last year. We decided our idea would make a good sequel to "Dodge Ball". It's called "Four Square: Globo-Gym Strikes Back". Hey, don't laugh! Four Square is an extremely demanding sport that requires skills in athleticism, deception, and "in-your-face-ism".

  5. You pick the last one: I graduated high school #31 in a class of 400-ish. I received 3rd place in the best-looking car category for the "Pinewood Derby" when I was in Cub Scouts (back in my elementary school days). I was voted "Teacher of the Year" once at the first school I taught at. I won $500 playing bingo once while waiting for my girlfriend to get off work at the bingo parlor. I spent the night in the emergency room once for a kidney stone and had demerol-induced hallucinations which included boxes of Cheerios floating in mid-air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed these.

I won 3rd place in a race in the pinewood derby for indian princesses.